A precursor to Versailles. The château, built by François Mansart, was inaugurated in April 1651 in the presence of the young Louis XIV at a sumptuous reception. The Sun King subsequently called upon the sculptors and decorators who had worked at Maisons to help build Versailles, as well as its architect’s great-nephew, Jules Hardouin Mansart.
Prince and marshal. Considered one of the most beautiful residences of its time, the estate became the property of the Count of Artois, the brother of Louis XVI and the future King Charles X of France. Marshal Lannes purchased it in 1804. In the 19th century, French banker Jacques Laffitte divided the grounds into plots. The château was saved from destruction by the French state in 1905.
To ensure the safety of our visitors, the monument is strictly applying the security measures decided by the french authorities.
The monument is fully opened.